Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
吉林快3Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
IUPUC strives to maintain a welcoming community through an ongoing commitment to equity and inclusion. We define Equity and inclusion as:
- Equity in the institution at its heart is about fairness; it is about equal access – to education, to employment – and equal opportunity to succeed in these domains. Promoting and achieving equity requires that institutions, such as universities, reflectively examine their policies and practices related to such areas as hiring and promotion of faculty and staff, admission of students, measurements of success, curricula and climate. University of British Columbia
- Equity in the classroom is raising the achievement of all students while: narrowing the gaps between the highest- and lowest-performing students; and eliminating the racial/socioeconomic/gender predictability and disproportionality of which student groups occupy the highest and lowest achievement categories. Adapted From Courageous Conversations, Glenn Singleton and Curtis Linton
- Inclusion is defined as, “The active, intentional, and ongoing engagement with diversity—in people, in the curriculum, in the co-curriculum, and in communities (intellectual, social, cultural, geographical) with which individuals might connect—in ways that increase one’s awareness, content knowledge, cognitive sophistication, and empathic understanding of the complex ways individuals interact within systems and institutions” (AAC&U, 2009, ¶ 3). University of Arizona
To this end, we provide a variety of opportunities for students, faculty, staff, and the local community to learn from and engage with a broad array of topics. A few of our ongoing initiatives are listed below:
- Annual MLK Celebratory Lunch
- Pride Pantry - Campus Food Pantry
- IUPUC Diversity Circles
- Excellence in Leadership Initiative - Speaker Series
- The mission of the Diversity Council is to facilitate a campus environment supportive of all individuals and groups by:
- Recognizing that each of us is unique while sharing many of the same characteristics, thoughts, feelings, challenges, and privileges.
- Serving as a forum for open, honest discussion of any and all issues related to equity and inclusion on campus.
- Generating support from the campus and our communities for inclusive attitudes and activities.
- Becoming informed about issues in the broader community related to equity and inclusion and determining the role the campus should play in addressing them.
- Advising IUPUC's vice chancellor and dean on issues regarding equity and inclusion.
2020 IUPUC Excellence in Diversity Award
吉林快3Help us recognize individuals and groups that have demonstrated a strong commitment diversity. This award is intended to recognize and honor demonstrated commitment and outstanding efforts toward creating a diverse and inclusive community.
Each year, nominations are accepted for internal (on-campus) and external (off-campus) individuals, organizations, groups, projects, units, and institutions whose work during the previous year is deserving of recognition.
Nominations for the 2020 award are due November 1, 2019
- Download and review information about the award description, criteria, nomination process, due dates, and nomination form
- E-mail completed nominations to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions about this award, please contact the Office of the Vice Chancellor & Dean for information.
IUPUC prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary considerations of such characteristics as age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.